Sunday, March 28, 2010

Highlights from a Good Week



Here are some highlights from my past week...

This week I started tutoring my favorite little boy Datu Afif. For those of you who receive my newsletters, I wrote about him in my February newsletter. He is 5 years old and quite the cutie. I will be tutoring him from 5 pm - 6pm every Tuesday and Thursday. This past Wednesday morning when his dad dropped him off at school he started crying... rare, I don't think I've ever seen him cry. Principal and his dad were talking to him in Malay and I couldn't understand... but I heard them say the word tutoring. After his dad took him to class I asked Principal what the problem was and if he had enjoyed being tutored the day before.... I was a little worried maybe he didn't like it, or it was too much pressure or something. She laughed and said, "Well he said he didn't want to come to school anymore, he just wanted to be tutored!" Hahaha... so cute! :) I went to his class to check on him after his dad left and he was completely fine... so that was good.

Thursday was our second tutoring session we review the letters b and c. When we were learning b I taught him the word boy and explained that he was a boy and I was a girl. Since girl didn't start with b or c, I only said it that once and didn't repeat it again. At the end of tutoring I took a picture of the two of us (pictured above). He asked to me to show him the picture and when I did he pointed to himself and said "boy" then pointed to me and said "girl" I was so proud! Up until now he hasn't seemed to have the greatest memory but maybe with some one-on-one attention it will be a lot better. I'm also looking forward to see how much progress I can make with him in the next few months. He is pretty much at the beginning... barely knows any English... and this is my first time giving one-on-one tutoring which is what I think I enjoy the most. So we'll see! So far it's great.

On Thursday afternoon got the craving for grilled cheese. So I asked Principal to take me to the store and said I'd make dinner for the family. So I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner. Jennifer and Ivy, Principal's daughters (ages 19 and 17) were so excited because they play the Sims game on their computer and they said they always feed there people grilled cheese but they didn't know what it was... it just sounded good to them :) Haha... I honestly didn't think Principal and her family would like it because people do not eat cheese here but they actually really enjoyed it and want me to make it again. It was delicious (although the cheese doesn't compare) and a nice dinner to have!

Happy Palm Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment