Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Monday!

I was going to title this blog post "A Wonderful Start to the Week" but as I skimmed through my previous posts I realized I had already titled a post that a few months ago. That quickly brings me to the main point of this post.... I continue to feel so blessed to be working at a job that a truly love... where I look forward to work and to Monday's.

The past two weeks we have been on semester break so that made this Monday even more exciting. I hadn't seen most of the kids in a little over two weeks and I really missed them. With the start of the new semester today came new books and new lessons to teach. I am happy to be teaching something new but especially in the 5 year old class this comes with added (personal) pressure. This is the time in their school where the 5 year olds are really taught to read. We are now starting the transition of reading words. By now they should have a pretty decent understanding of what sound each letter of the alphabet makes and now its just putting the sounds together to make a word. I am pleased to report that the first day went surprisingly well. I was pretty shocked but the kids caught on very quickly. I really hope that it sticks and the children continue to absorb the information as well as they did today.

Overall today was about as perfect as days come. It was a laid back and fun day filled with happy, eager to learn, laughing and smiling children. The kids were all well behaved and seemed to take in what I was teaching them faster than normal. After school I quickly set up for my afternoon tutoring class and then went out for lunch with Principal. Then it was time for my afternoon class. My Monday/Wednesday class is my more advanced class and they are very chill and lots of fun. Even though they are more advanced and their English is pretty good it continues to be rewarding for me when they understand me clearly... and as the children have gradually gotten comfortable speaking more English with me. It's also fun to see what English they pick up from me. They especially like the word "silly" and use it often now.

After the tutoring class finished I worked a little more with Adam on his reading and then walked him home. Then I went back to school and did a little more work. Principal and two of her daughters, Ivy (18) and Kristy (9) also came over to school. Principal did work, Ivy did school work and Kristy was nice enough to help me with a craft for the children. Then I went to Principal's for dinner. We all weren't too hungry so we made our own dinner and I made peanut butter and jelly on toasted bread. Wow, it was delicious. Haha... I'm sure that sounds funny, but I can't remember the last time I've had PBJ.

You may be reading this and thinking that this doesn't sound like an overly special day or not enough to be a perfect day. The reason it I said this is because it was just so normal and relaxed. And, of course, because I was so happy to see the children. I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the day... even now as I sit here on Principal's couch.... my eyes starting to feel heavy as I listen to them speaking Chinese. I am savoring all of my time I have left with my family and I so love being around them and just being part of the family. They are all so special to me.

The perfect ending to the day is that I just checked online and my parent's flight has safely reached Hong Kong! As I write this my parents are in Hong Kong! My parents are in the same time zone as me. It's crazy for me to think that they're on my side of the world now :) They will spend the next day and a half in Hong Kong and then arrive in Malaysia early evening on Wednesday. I can't wait to see them and to have them be part of my life here.

I apologize that I have not been making many posts the last few months. At the beginning of this year abroad I had it in my mind to post a few blogs a week. But then life happens and a month passes before I am able to sit down and write a blog. As I begin my last six weeks in Malaysia I am going to try to write a post a week instead of writing in my journal that day. I hope this finds you all happy and healthy and having a wonderful Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment